Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Shanghai: my neighbourhood

The view from our apartment.

I have completely fallen in love with Shanghai. And it's mostly because we are living in a gorgeous part of the city known as the former French Concession.  

Here's some quick snaps I took this past weekend on my iPhone.  Excuse the quality - I still can't find my camera battery in our many unpacked boxes! 

Spring is in the air, the sun is shining and the days are starting to warm up.  Soon we'll have green leaves on all these bare trees.  I can hardly wait. 




Encompassing the districts of Xuhui and Luwan, the former French Concession is on the west side of the Huangpu river called Puxi.  On the east bank of the river is Pudong with its futuristic skyscrapers and shopping malls.

But it's the leafy boulevards and distinctive Chinese-European style architecture in the French Concession that appealed. Plus the boutiques, bakeries, cafes, restaurants, bars, pubs, fresh fruit and vege, street vendors, spas... And this is just one tiny pocket of one district in a city of 20 million people.  

It can also be a surprisingly quiet oasis. Except for Sunday mornings when the congregation at the Church next door start belting out off-key hymns from 7:30am.  Just outside our bedroom window. Oh well. A tiny price to pay.








No comments:

Post a Comment