Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I love technology

When I first moved overseas, communications technology was really in its infancy. Yes, there was email and I had a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phone. But if I wanted to call internationally, I made a weekly trip to a public phone booth with an international phone card.  I used to send postcards, I kept a paper diary and I wrote letters. I felt so far away.  As if I was living a parallel life on the other side of the world.

Fast forward 11 years and it's staggering how technology has changed the way I communicate. My sister has had a baby and now I talk to her on Skype most days, sometimes for hours. I'm in China, she's in Australia, yet I am able to see my baby nephew grow before my eyes. He stares at the computer and plays while his crazy auntie makes silly noises. It doesn't come close to the real thing, but it sure beats a weekly phone call from a phone booth.

Yesterday, I got my first smile. You can just imagine the ridiculous face I was pulling to elicit such a response.

Adorable Oscar

No comments:

Post a Comment