Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bump watch: week 24


I'm now six months pregnant. The second trimester has been really very enjoyable. I can't really complain about my first trimester all that much either if I'm really honest. I was fortunate enough to avoid morning sickness but did have incredible fatigue. So much so that I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and put on a small dose of medication. Thankfully, by week 13, my fatigue lifted, to be replaced by a daily headache. But nothing too bad. Just annoying really.

Week 13 to week 19 is a strange time. You're not really showing all that much and all the pregnancy symptoms disappear. As a result, you're left wondering: am I really pregnant? So the week 20 ultrasound was a godsend. Hearing the heartbeat is the best thing. It calmed all my nerves and confirmed that yes, there is a baby in there. And then my bump started to grow!

Now that I'm at week 24, I definitely look and feel pregnant. I am loving my weekly pre-natal yoga and aqua aerobics classes. I'm enjoying reading up on birth (am particularly loving the practical tips in Juju Sundin's book "Birth Skills") and stocking the nursery. The weather is changing up a bit here so I can really wear comfy clothes and throw a coat, boots and scarf on and look more dressed up than I really am! I'm getting some pain in my tailbone that can be pretty damn painful and annoying. Seems my baby is pressing on a sciatic nerve.

But all in all, I can't complain. I love being pregnant. I love having a bump. I love imagining what I'm going to have. Will it be a boy? Will it be a girl? What colour hair will it have? What colour eyes? Will it have my husband's cute dimple? So much anticipation and excitement. Change is a-coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment